The Internet has changed the way we lead our lives. It has changed the way in which we do business, the way we learn new things and the way we communicate with each other. Come with us and take a look at 14 interesting facts about the Internet.
KNOW INTERESTING INTERNET FACTS :
- The first ever website has the URL (http://bit.ly/1lX8W0F). It had been published on 6th of August, 1991 by a British physicist, Mr.Tim Berners-Lee.
- Talking about amazing old websites, the original Space Jam website is online yet! Doesn’t it just take you back?
- The International Space Station has much faster Internet than India.
- There are 7 people in the world who have the ‘keys to the Internet’. If an extreme natural calamity or terrorist attack interferes with the Internet communication, five out of the seven key holders can come together and re-boot the system.
- Southern Korea has the fastest mean global Internet speed of 23 Mbits/s. America ranks at 12thin the world with mean speed of 11.5 Mbits/s. England stands 18thin the world with 10.7 Mbits/s, Canada stands 20th with 10.3 Mbits/s and good old Australia stands at 30th with 6.9 Mbits/s.
- Gmail was initially a free email service for Garfield cartoon fans. Until Google took over the domain in the year 2005 for an undisclosed sum.
- According to a research, humans represent only 49% of the Internet’s traffic. This means the majority of the traffic automated bots, 20% of which are decent law abiding bots like the search engine indexers. But that still leaves 31% that are pirate spam robots that can considered harmful in some way!
- Users consume more than 6 billion hours of Youtube video every month! That is 684,000 years full of viewing.
- The Internet took 4 years to reach to an audience of 50 million, while it took TV 13 years, and radio 38 years to reach the same number of people.
- Every second there are approximately 1258 photos uploaded to Instagram, since 1582 Tumblr posts posted, 1638 Skype calls, 105,500 videos viewed on Youtube and 2,417,342 emails.
- More than 250 billion emails sent everyday and about 81% of them are spam!
- Apigeon beats Internet in a Race. In UK during 2010, a race set between ten carrier pigeons and the World Wide Web. The carrier pigeons sent with a USB data stick affixed to them that had a video file. The same video file was uploaded to a website the moment the pigeons went off. The birds flew 120km to their destination, arriving in 75 minutes while the video had only uploaded 24% of the huge 300MB file.
- Going on with lame Internet speed, AOL still brings in 600 million dollars per year from dial-up Internet subscriptions, with a reported 2 million users signed up for the service in 2011 alone.
- In 1995, Robert Metcalf estimated that the Internet would suffer a ‘catastrophic collapse’ until next year. And that he would ‘eat his words’ if it didn’t. In 1997, he took a print of his speech, put it into a mixer with some liquid and drank it!
So, how do you feel on learning these internet facts. Laugh it out loud and share with your friends!