<p style=”text-align: justify;”>Indian mythology stories were not only interesting but also taught us a lesson. Mahabharata is one such epic which delivers such a message in abundance which can be referred to use. However, there are lots of unknown, albeit fascinating, facts from this epic that you just amazed to know.
Here are some captivating stories from the Mahabharata epic:
- The original Mahabharata contains a complete family tree of the lunar dynasty.
- Vyasa wrote it in 1 million slokas and we have lost pretty much half of it over the course of time.
- Even then it is easily bigger than any other Epic in the world, although it not written down until 800 years ago.
- Over centuries it was passed to the next generation orally.
- The current authentic version of Mahabharata prepared by Bhandarkar Institute of Oriental research (BIOR) in Pune.
- The linguistic analysis of Mahabharata put forward the fact that its first edition was formed before Ramayana but got popular and expanded only after Ramayana.
- Some weapons had the power to return back to the person who launched. For example, Krishna’s Sudarshan Chakra. This is similar to the reusable missiles which ISRO is working on.
- Arjun could not defend the wives of Krishna from common robbers after Krishna went to Vaikunth. He could not lift his bow and forgot all his Mantras because Arjun lost his powers after Krishna left.
- Although, most people feel that Mahabharata teaches about Dharma, but there is not even a single instance in this epic where truth or lie are defined. In this every action is dependent on the situation they are in.
- The fight in this epic was not just between the Pandavas and the Kauravas but foreign sources from Rome and Greece were also part of it.
Mahabharata Epic Facts :
- Even though Arjun had obtained Pashupatastra, which is the most destructive personal weapon of Shiva. But he did not use it as it could destroy the entire world if used against a mortal enemy.
- Duryodhana did not participate in Draupadi’s Svayamvar, as he was already married to Bhanumati princess of Kalinga. And he had promised her that he would never marry another woman.
- The modern places of Panipat, Sonipat, Tilpat, Baghpat and Delhi asked by Krishna from the Pandavas during his negotiations for peace.
Mahabharata is that the greatest epic (by length) within the world. And its quality within the country has specified even young children recognize the names of the most characters. And therefore the sequence during which the events of the epic took place.
I consider this war to be a true dharmayudhha – where Teacher fought against his beloved student placing dharma over everything else – fought war not for any desire but to fulfill their duty; where warriors followed the rules, and warriors were humble enough to admit they could not win!
For more facts Click here