Born to politician, social activist and author Keshav Sitaram Thackeray on 23 Jan, 1926. Since he originally emerged from a movement in Mumbai demanding discriminatory treatment for Maharashtrians over migrants to the city.
He started off his career as a cartoonist with ‘The free press Journal’ in Mumbai and contribute to the Sunday edition of ‘The Times Of India‘. In 1960, he left ‘The free press Journal’ and formed his own political weekly ‘Marmik’. Since thackeray used his weekly to make public opinion against the flow of non-Marathi people in Mumbai who, according to him, were depriving natives of their livelihood. it absolutely was in 1966, he founded political party shiv Sena.
As the 4th death anniversary of the Shiv Sena founder, Balasaheb Thakre is nearing;
we bring to you some of the interesting facts about him:-
Balasaheb Thackeray Facts:-
- Bal Thackeray started his career as a cartoonist in a newspaper and has worked with the renowned artist RK Laxman.
- In 1960, he began publishing the satirical cartoon weekly Marmik.
- He was given the name Balasaheb by his supporters who also gave him the title of the Hindu hruday Samrat. Which literally translates to ‘the emperor of the Hindu hearts.
SHIV SENA FACTS:-
- In 1966 Balasaheb Thakre formed the political party Shiv Sena keeping in mind the concept of fighting for the rights of the Marathi. His father, Keshav Thackeray, had a huge influence on him; Since who in his time was social activist himself and supported the idea of Maharashtra becoming a complete Marathi speaking state with Mumbai at its capital.
- Balasaheb Thakre banned to vote or to contest in the election for 6 years by the election commission as he found to indulge in corrupt practices in order to seek votes by using religion.
- Thus, Balasaheb Thakre not able to contest in any election nor was his son, Udhav.
- Balasaheb Thakre used to praise Adolf Hitler which was not supported by many people. He believed that the Dictator was an artist.
- Other than related with politics he was also the chief editor of the newspaper Samna.
- Michael Jackson has also visited Bal Thakre. And has rumoured to have autographed the toilet which he used during the visit.
- Bal Thakre had gifted the Indian superstar and legend, Mr. Amitabh Bachchan with the cartoon named ‘defeating Yamraj. when he was recovering from the coolie injury.
These are just some interesting tidbits, which provide an insight into the life of the tiger of Maharashtra.