<p style=”text-align: justify;”>Ravana was half-demon and half-Brahmin. His mother Kaikasi belonged to a demon Clan and His father Vishwashrava, a rishi belonging to the Pulastya Clan. Varavarni and Kaikasi were 2 wives of Vishwashrava. The god of wealth, kuber was born to the 1st mate, and Ravana, Kumbhakarna, Shurpanakha and Vibhishana were born to Kaikasi.
15 Unknown Facts About Ravana:-
- It was Ravana and his brother Kumbhakarana, both performed penance. Both got miraculous powers from Lord Brahma to occupy the golden kingdom of Lanka and they drove out Kuber.
- Since Ravana wasn’t given name as he was Dashagriva or Dashanana (demon with 10 heads).
- While trying to dislodge Mount Kailash on that Lord Shiva was meditating, Shiva pressed the mountain along with his toe crushing Ravana’s forearms. As Ravana unleash blood-curling screams in agony, he came to called Ravana (one who screams).
- Ravana had killed King of the Ikshawku dynasty, Anaranya.the kingdom to which Lord Rama belonged.
- whereas dying King Ravana had tried killing the monkey king Bali, while he was praying to the Sun God at a sea-coast.
- Bali was thus powerful, that he carried Ravana along with his arms and took him back to Kishkindhya, where he asked Ravana what he wished.
- Ravana 0ffered friendship and 2 became friends. it was Bali, who whereas fighting with Sugriva, slayed by Lord Rama.
- It had been Ravana, a Brahmin, who performed the rites of a purohit, once Lord Rama made the Rama Sethu to guide his monkey brigade to attack Lanka.
- Ravana wasn’t only a large fighter, he was also an skilled of the Vedas and an knowledgeable in Astrology.
Unknown Facts About Ravana
- It is said that once his son Meghanada was to born from his mate Mandodari’s womb, Ravana “instructed” all the planets. And also the Sun to be in their correct position for the auspicious “lagna” so his son would become immortal.
- Ravana was an excellent practician of statecraft. When Lord Rama killed Ravana, who was on his last breath, Rama told his brother Lakshmana to travel to Ravana and learn the art of statecraft and diplomacy from the dying demon king.
- Ravana, when thousand years of penance, sought a boon for immortality from Lord Brahma. However the later with politeness declined saying that his life would focused at his navel.
- Ravana had got a boon from Lord Brahma by beseeching that no god, demon, kinnar or Gandharva may ever kill him.
- He granted this boon, a little knowing that he didn’t look for the boon for defense from human beings. It had been Rama, as a human, who ultimately slayed Ravana.
Ravana’s empire is wide over Balidweepa (today’s Bali), Malayadweep (Malaysia), Angadweepa, Yavadweepa , Varahdweepa, Shankhadweepa, Kushadweepa and Andhralaya. Ravana not only taken Kubera’s kingdom of Lanka, but also took his golden Pushpaka Vimana. It’s said the vimana (aircraft) may take completely different shapes and will travel at the speed of mind. He was a powerful king and demon.
What do you say about this powerful demon Ravana?